This 15th century Iroquoian village (Crawford Lake) features three re-constructed longhouses and numerous artefact that bring light into the lives of the early settlers. From 1973 to 1987, excavations uncovered 11 longhouses on the site and various artefacts from day-to-day lives of the pre-contact First Nations groups.
The first prehistoric village in the eastern woodland area of North America to be accurately dated, this archaeological site has revealed much about Iroquoian agriculture.
The University of Western Ontario and the Museum of Ontario Archaeology first excavated the Crawford Lake site between 1972 and 1987 under the supervision of Dr. William Finlayson. During that time, the remains of 11 longhouses and a number of features and artifacts were uncovered. Between 2013 and 2017, AMEC Foster-Wheeler has continued the excavations and revealed the remains of another longhouse and several more artifacts. It has been concluded that the site has seen 2 periods of occupation over a span of approximately 200-300 years.
The modern reconstruction of the village represents the second occupation period dated between 1436 and 1457 and home to people who were possibly ancestors of the Wendat. The village likely had 5 longhouses and an estimated population of about 250 people.
Beautiful trails that surround the lake and the area around can be walked all year round. The loops are long and short and connect to the Bruce Trail.